This post has been sponsored by Moonlight Slumber. Although I received a review product free of charge, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Before our daughter was born in 2013, I researched different baby products to find the healthiest and safest options for our family. I understand buying everything organic is expensive. Have you heard of the clean fifteen and the dirty dozen when it comes to buying fruits and vegetables? I feel similarly about baby products. I definitely don’t and can’t buy everything organic, but there are certain things where I don’t want to compromise. Mattresses are one of these things.
So why buy an organic crib mattress?
- Babies spend a majority of their day sleeping, anywhere from 14 to 17 hours a day. Our daughter is almost two and she continues to sleep 13 to 14 hours a day. That means she spends over 50 percent of her day in her crib.
- A study at the University of Texas at Austin found new crib mattresses release about four times as many volatile organic compounds (VOCs) as old crib mattresses. This is significant because infant’s faces are so close to the mattress which exposes them to about twice the VOC levels as people standing in the same room. Some of the chemicals found in the mattresses they tested included: phenol, neodecanoic acid, limonene and linalool.
- Popular baby mattress brands can contain toxic flame retardants which are linked to increase cancer risk according to the Chicago Tribune.
Phew. Do you know that new furniture or new car smell? That smell means there are most likely chemicals or toxins being released into the air. As far as mattresses, I wanted to find something with limited off gassing and chemicals.
Which leads me to Moonlight Slumber…
I was recently introduced to a premium mattress company Moonlight Slumber. They offer a variety of natural and organic bedding options and child safety is one of their highest priorities. I was drawn to their Starlight Simplicity mattress because there is nothing to hide in the ingredients. The mattress is fully chemical additive free and made in the USA. Yay! We were specifically interested in a latex mattress because it is naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial.
Better yet, the mattress is made with 100% natural hypoallergenic latex and no foam. We were excited to find the Starlight Simplicity offered an extra firm infant side and a softer plush toddler side so the mattress will grow with our new baby.
Why Moonlight Slumber?
- All of their mattresses are VOC tested under the Green Safety Shield™ Testing Program.
- The independent 3rd part laboratory testing service ensures the product is safe for your child. I love how transparent the company is with their testing.
- The mattresses are vinyl & PVC free, non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
- They are made with the best earth-friendly products and safety features so you can feel good about putting your baby to sleep.
When we received our Starlight Simplicity mattress we were very impressed with the quality. I honestly didn’t smell anything when I took it out of the packaging. This mattress is for our new baby arriving in late August early September, but we had our 21 month old daughter test it out for a few days. She slept wonderfully on the new mattress.
I was very excited to find a company I can feel good about. It is important to us to give our children the best start at life and I think limiting their exposure to chemicals or toxins is a part of that.