I’ve written about peace before and how I think it’s important to create a positive atmosphere for your home. Recently, I made a pregnancy and labor vision board which included scriptures and song lyrics to meditate on. Many of the scriptures I included revolved around peace. One scripture that stuck out in my mind was Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV):
You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
If I’m being honest when I read this scripture my mind started to question “is it really possible to have perfect peace?” I firmly believe that every word in the Bible is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16) so it must be true. God is not a man that he should lie! So then I started to think okay, God promises us he will keep us in perfect peace IF our mind is steadfast or focused on Him. So how can we keep our minds steadfast on God? Here are some of my recent thoughts.
5 Keys to Finding Perfect Peace
- Morning Routine: In the paragraph above, we established that in order to receive God’s promise of perfect peace we must keep our mind’s focused on Him. It is so easy to get wrapped up in life and things of this world as soon as you wake up. In order to focus my attention on heavenly things I find it is best to read the Bible, pray and sing worship songs in the morning. I’ve found it helps me remember the truth and I’m more focused on God’s purposes when I seek him in the morning.
- Diligently Seek Him: Although our God is great and loves to bless His children I believe we must diligently seek Him. How can we have a relationship with Him if we never talk to him, pray to him or listen for his voice? Proverbs 8:17 reminds us: I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me. If you are being honest, are you diligently (putting in persistent effort) seeking him?
- Recognize Fear/Anxiety: As a school psychologist I loved learning about cognitive behavior therapy. I believe many of it’s principles can be found in the Bible. Essentially our thoughts impact our emotions and actions. It is so important to recognize thoughts of fear and anxiety and get rid of them right away. We must hold every thought captive. If you feel it creeping up during the day, give it to God in prayer. Fear is not from the Prince of Peace. Fight off fear with God’s word. Recite it out loud and meditate on His promises.
- Daily Thought Life: Are you truly aware of your thoughts? What do you often think about during the day? The Bible tells us in Philippians 4:8: Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things arejust, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. Ask God to help you do this. He can certainly transform your heart and your daily thought life.
- Notes & Songs: I love listening to music. I believe music can change the atmosphere of a home. When I play worship music throughout the day I am reminded of God’s love. It helps me refocus my attention on eternal things. I also have on occasion written down scriptures and posted them throughout our house. On the microwave, bathroom mirror, garage door, etc. When I pass by, I pause and reflect on the scripture. I’ve found this simple task keeps my attention on the things that truly matter.
I’m certainly not perfect at this, but I definitely notice a difference when I keep my mind fixed on Him. I am more patient, loving and I seem to deal better with the challenges of daily life.