Did you know more active mothers tend to have more active children? New research is suggesting that moms can influence their preschooler’s physical activity. This is wonderful news! Growing up my dad always joked about “free exercise” or physical activity that didn’t cost anything when he parked far away at the grocery store. Some of my greatest childhood memories are playing outside and exploring the world with my sister. Although I don’t have a toddler yet, we recently started water babies with our baby girl. I love doing this activity together and I can’t wait to do more things like this when she gets older.
Don’t let this news stress you out! It can be difficult to add fun physical activities to your already busy schedule. However, I believe even light physical activity can be beneficial. Start out slowly and add a few activities here and there to get your family more active.
Here are 10 inexpensive or free children’s activities to do together:
- Start a garden.
- Paint your sidewalk with some awesome sidewalk squirt chalk.
- Take a swim! Look into day passes or swim lessons at your local YMCA or community pool.
- Have fun painting with water – this activity looks fantastic!
- Go on a hike or nature walk.
- Make a homemade sprinkler.
- Try a backyard car wash with your kids.
- Blow and chase bubbles around your yard.
- Catch fireflies after dinner. I loved doing this as a child!
- Bubble wrap run, this looks amazing.
Remember don’t stress, just have fun! You don’t need to be a creative genius to come up with activities your children will love. Sometimes the simplest things give them the most enjoyment.