Creating a Positive Home Atmosphere
What defines the atmosphere of your home? Decorations can create a certain feel, but so do your thoughts and words.
You may not realize it, but your temperament and actions impact the tone or mood of your surroundings beyond the decorations.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately as I recently remade my homemaker’s mission statement. My goal is create a positive home atmosphere that is filled with love, mercy and grace.
But is this even possible? I can barely keep up with the laundry and the dirty dishes! Do we really have the power to change the mood of our homes? I believe we do! God gave us many tools to speak life into our surroundings and today I want to share my top 5 ways to create a positive tone in your house.
5 Steps to Creating a Positive Home Atmosphere
- Speak Life: Our words are so powerful and we so often abuse the power of our tongue. With our words can either speak life or death. So which one are you speaking into the atmosphere? I believe i’s important to take a step back and analysis this. It’s even helpful to have someone else you trust do this with you. They can point out to you phrases you often speak and encourage you to speak life. How often are you saying things like “If I only I…, I’ll be happy when…, I’m afraid…” Ask God to transform your tongue and give you help your words to build others up.
- Play Uplifting Music: Research has shown us that music can lift our mood. What kind of music are you playing in your house? When I notice an edginess or crankiness in our house I try to put on positive, wholesome music. When we listen to worship music we are ushering in the presence of God. It can instantly change the mood of your home and remind you of the goodness of the Lord.
- Read the Bible: This is God’s inspired word! I find encouragement and hope whenever I start my day out reading the Bible. For me personally I’ve found it easiest not to read large chunks of scripture in one sitting. I find I skim words when I try to read too much. Instead after I read a short section or chapter I pick a verse to mediate on throughout the day. I may say it aloud a few times to really get it into my heart and my head. I also find it helpful to write it down on a sticky note and put it in a place I look at often throughout the day.
- Put Your Selfish Desires Aside: This is not easy! At some point or another we all have trouble with this. Selfishness is part of our fleshly desires. When I first became a parent I realized just how selfish I really was. It’s not always easy taking care of other people and putting my desires last. But when I want to start complaining about this I remind myself it is an honor to serve others. I also find when I put God’s desires before my selfish desires His glory shows up. John 15:13 (NKJV) reminds us “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down ones’ life for his friends.”
- Keep a Heavenly Thought Life: As you may know this is something I am passionate about. We must hold every thought captive. When I meditate on excellent, praiseworthy things I notice a difference in my mood and the mood of our home.
I love this!!! I would love to sit down and come up with a mission statement. I think this is something my girlfriends in my Bible study would love. Might need to put together a devotional on this! Thanks for the inspiration.
That is great! I would love to hear what you do with it for a Bible study. It is something that has been on my heart lately.
I’m definitely on board with music playing a major role in the atmosphere of the home. We’ve got Air1 on all the time in our cars, and here in the home. That or a playlist full of positive and encouraging tunes 🙂
I never heard of Air1? What is it? I also LOVE music.
Music is a HUGE one for us.
That picture in your post is a bit of a taunt, btw. I want to see more of that adorable baby! lol
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hi Lauren! I love this post and your heart behind it! I’ve featured it as one of my Favorite Finds this week on my newsletter! Subscribe here!
Thanks so much! I appreciate the feature 🙂
I enjoyed reading this post. I love putting music on during the day too! It definitely gives me energy and brightens my spirit! Something else I love doing is opening all the blinds and curtains to let the sun shine in…I love that the springtime sunshine is finally here!!!